Gneeveguilla National School
1. The front door will be opened at 9:10a.m and the children will be supervised until 9:20a.m. On dry days the children will stand outside in their class groups. On wet days etc. the children will be allowed to stand along the corridor near their classrooms. In order to relieve congestion two senior class groups will be allowed into their classrooms and supervised by the teacher on duty. At 9:20 the bell will ring to commence the school day. There is an assembly period (20 minutes) from 9.20am to 9.40am so teachers will commence class, during this period, at their own discretion. On the first day parent(s)/guardian(s) should accompany the Junior Infants directly into their classroom before the bell. Junior Infants will go home at 12:00 for a specified period. After that all the infants, Junior and Senior, go home at 2.00 p.m. and remaining children leave at 3.00 p.m. Parents/ Guardians are reminded that children should not be on school property, for their own safety, outside official times as there is no supervision.
2. All schools are now legally bound under the Education Welfare Act to report absences of 20 days or more, in total, in a school year. Children who are absent should bring a brief explanatory note on their return to the class teacher. A child must be in school at roll time (approx. 10:10a.m.) in order to be marked present. If a parent/guardian wish to take a child out of school a signed dated note should be provided or the class release form must be signed when the pupil is collected.
3. In the event of an emergency closure (no heat, no E.S.B, etc.) parents/guardians will be notified as soon as possible. No children will be sent home unless there is a parent/guardian/adult to receive them. If parents/guardians are unsure or concerned regarding the school’s position during severe weather conditions, they should delay sending children until they make contact with a member of staff.
4. Homework is a vital link between school and home. Weekends are homework free and the approximate time to be spent during the week is:
- Infants……………….10 – 15 minutes
- 1st and 2nd class………20 – 30 minutes
- 3rd and 4th class………40 – 50 minutes
- 5th and 6th class………50 – 60 minutes.
Homework time will depend on child’s ability, application and concentration.
5. Teachers should be informed of any school related problems. In order to minimise class disruption, a parent/ guardian who wishes to discuss a particular problem should telephone the school for an appointment.
6. In the event of illness or accident, parents/guardians will be contacted. The school doctor, Dr. McDonnell, will be contacted if it is considered necessary.
7. Parents/guardians will be asked to make a contribution of 20 euro, per child, towards the cost of art materials, photocopying, etc.
8. No mobile/camera phones are allowed in the school.
9. No child/children will remain indoors in their classroom at break times if the teacher on yard duty is supervising outdoors.
10. Each family will receive a list of Holidays/Closures for the school year.
11. Children’s uniform tops and coats should have some identification mark such as child’s name/ initials.
12. Parents/ guardians who do not wish the local media…etc to have access to their child/children’s names or photographs should inform the school.
13. Parents/Guardians should regularly check children for head lice.
14. In the interests of Health and Safety people are requested not to park in the SCHOOL BUS ONLY zone.
15. Pupil Personal Accident Insurance (Allianz- 24 hour cover) is available from the school for approx. 9 euro yearly. We recommend that pupils join this School Group Policy at the start of every year.